Consumers looking for a quality television at an affordable price are flocking to the ONN TV, sold exclusively by Walmart. However, like all televisions, the ONN TV has its occasional glitches, including not turning on.
But don’t worry – a black screen doesn’t spell the end of your television!
Read on for methods to turn on your ONN TV without using the remote.
When Should You Turn On ONN TV Without A Remote?
The beauty of ONN TV is that you don’t need a remote to power it on. But when should you turn on your ONN TV without using the remote?
Generally, if your remote stops working or goes missing, turning the TV on manually can be a great solution. But keep in mind that this isn’t always the most ideal option.
You’ll need to locate the power button on your ONN TV.
How To Control ONN TV Without Remote?
While the remote control that comes with your ONN TV is the go-to for operating it, it’s not the only way to turn on the TV. Of course, turning it on is only half the battle – once it’s on, you have to control it!
Follow the steps below to use the television without the remote.
Use The ONN TV Power Button To Turn On The Television
To get the TV on without the remote, you can use the physical power button located on the TV itself. The actual location of this button varies widely from device to device.
You’ll need to look and feel around for it and possibly move the set a little bit in order to reach it.
So, where is the power button located on ONN Roku TVs?
The four most common locations for the power button on onn TVs are:
- Back right of the TV: Move your TV a little forward and you’ll feel it in a small slot in the back bottom right part of the device.
- Back left of the TV: Same as the back right, you’ll want to move the TV forward and feel for it in a small slot on the bottom left of the device.
- Middle underside of the TV: You might need a flashlight for this one! It’s often below or near the ONN Roku TV logo or a little further back.
- Left underside of the TV: Feel behind the signal receiver on the ONN TV to see if you can find the power button.
If you’re really stuck, you can always refer to the user manual from your TV (assuming you still have it!) to find the location.
Download The ONN TV Remote App To Your Smartphone
Fortunately, if you lose your remote, you can download the ONN TV Roku app to your smartphone and it performs all the basic remote functions except that it cannot turn the TV on. (But hopefully you’ve found the power button on the television to do that.)
Here are the steps to download and use the free app:
- Download the app through the app store for your device. Here are the links for the app for iOS and Android.
- If you haven’t done it already, turn on the ONN TV using the power button as described above.
- Make sure that your smartphone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your ONN TV.
- Launch the app on your phone and sign in with your Roku account info when prompted.
- You’ll be prompted to select your ONN TV from the device list.
- Tap “Remote.”
- Then buttons will appear on your screen similar to those on your TV remote.
Try The IR Blaster Remote Apps
You can also download an IR blaster TV remote app on your phone.
An IR blaster relies on infrared technology rather than Wi-Fi to communicate with the TV, so this is especially good if you are having issues getting your phone onto the same network as the television or vice versa.
However, not all phones have a built-in IR transmitter, so you may have to experiment to see if this works for yours.
Instructions for use will vary from app to app, but essentially you will need to:
- Download an IR blaster app, such as Mi Remote or TwinOne TV Remote.
- Make sure the standby light on the ONN TV is on so that it can receive the IR signal.
- Open the app and tap the appropriate TV option as prompted.
- Point the phone at the IR receiver on the TV and begin using the app.
How Do I know if My Phone Has IR-Blaster?
To find out whether your phone is compatible with an IR blaster, you’ll need to install an application capable of interpreting signals from the remote control.
There are numerous such apps, like the IR Tester, can be downloaded at no cost.
If your phone is of an older model and doesn’t have Bluetooth or WiFi capabilities, then there’s a chance that it might not be equipped to support an IR blaster.
Control The TV Through HDMI-CEC Using Your Gaming Console
Did you know that if you have a video gaming system connected to your ONN TV, you can use it to control the television? Most ONN TV’s have a HDMI-CEC function.
In layman’s terms, HDMI-CEC allows two-way communication between the external device and the TV, allowing the device to turn the TV on and off automatically.
Currently, the only gaming consoles that can support this are the Nintendo Switch and Playstation4.
First, if you are using an app to control the TV, makes sure HDMI-CEC is set to on:
- Press the Home button on the remote app.
- Scroll to the Gear icon, then Settings > System > Control Other Devices (CEC)
- Uncheck “1-touch play.”
To control the TV with Nintendo Switch:
- Connect the Nintendo Switch dock to the television using an HDMI cable.
- Navigate to System Settings
- Switch Match TV Power State to “On”
- Now the TV will turn on and off whenever the Switch is turned on and off.
To control the TV with PS4:
- Turn on the PS4 and make sure it’s connected via the TV’s HDMI-CEC (eARC) port.
- On the PS4, go to Settings > System.
- Scroll down to Enable HDMI Device Link and tick it so it’s “on.”
- Now the TV will turn on and off whenever the PS4 is turned on and off.
Replace The ONN Roku TV Remote
While these workarounds are doable, they are certainly not as easy as using your standard ONN Roku TV remote.
Don’t forget the easiest – if not necessarily the most affordable – solution: buy a new ONN Roku TV remote! Replacement remotes are available on Walmart starting at just $7.97. It’s certainly less of a hassle.
Purchase A Universal Remote
If purchasing a new ONN TV remote is not an option for you, or if you’re afraid this will all just happen again, you can also consider purchasing a universal remote for the television.
Most major retailers sell remotes for just a few dollars that work with most smart TVs.
Check the product’s packaging to see if it’s Roku compatible before you buy it.
How To Fix The ONN TV Remote?
Before you dive into the above ways to tun on your ONN TV without a remote, it would be smart to see if perhaps your existing remote is easily fixable.
While it’s certainly possible to operate an ONN TV without the standard remote, it’s not ideal.
So first, explore these quick solutions:
- Check the batteries. Replace them if they are old, wipe any corrosion from the battery contacts, and make sure the batteries are in the right position.
- Check the remote for any physical damage.
- Try to run a system update on the TV (after you’ve regained control of the TV using one of the methods above without your existing remote).
- See if any buttons are stuck.
- Make sure the infrared emitter is working and not blocked by an object in the room.
- Power cycle the remote.
- Power cycle / soft reset the TV.
- Factory reset / hard reset the TV.
Contact ONN Roku TV Support
If you’ve gone through all these steps and you still can’t regain control of your ONN TV, check your warranty! You may still be eligible for a free repair or replacement.
The warranty and repair services for ONN products are handled by the American company Element Electronics.
Armed with that info, contact ONN Roku TV support for additional help. ONN / Walmart support can be reached online at https://onntvsupport.com, via phone at 1-844-334-2355 (9am – 9pm ET daily), or via email at email@example.com.
Is It Possible To Turn On an ONN TV Without A Remote If The Physical Power Button Is Broken?
Yes, it is possible to turn on an Onn TV without a remote if the physical button is broken.
The easiest way to do this is by using your voice through a voice assistant such as Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
Simply link your Onn TV to the respective device and enable their voice control settings. With these enabled, you can use verbal commands like “turn on the TV” or “power on the TV” to activate the device.
Another option is to connect a universal remote like Harmony Hub and use it as an alternative power button. This will allow you to control all the functions of your Onn TV without relying on a physical remote control or button.
There are several ways to turn on the ONN TV without using the remote. First, you should simply try fixing the remote. If that’s not possible, then the solutions include:
- Use the power button on the TV.
- Use the Roku TV app for your smartphone.
- Use an IR blaster remote app on your smartphone.
- Control the TV with your Nintendo Switch or PS4.
- Replace the remote with an ONN Roku remote or generic brand.
- Contact customer support.
By working through each of these options you should be back to enjoying your ONN TV in no time.
For other problems on your ONN TV, read this article.